Founder & Director
After a successful career holding various positions and senior roles in Public Relations, press and communications for well-known organisations including the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation), UNICEF at UN Headquarters New York and other locations, BBC Comic Relief, London City Ballet and the Body Shop International – a sudden health crisis forced me to change direction.
A self-confessed former workaholic, always taking on more than was sensible coupled with frequent overseas travel to places of humanitarian suffering, I was eventually diagnosed with TIA (transient ischeamic attack or stroke) while on an overseas assignment in late 2003. On return to the UK, doctors were unable to find any physical signs that would agree with the original diagnosis as my recovery was quick and with minimal physical damage.
I am convinced that having a yoga and meditation practice was the key to, not only my ability to work in demanding environments , but also my recovery. The health scare changed the course of my life. I switched from highlighting the inequities and suffering of people in the developing world to teaching and inspiring individuals in the developed world how to move beyond the narrow limits of conventional happiness and fulfilment with yoga, meditation and stress reduction.
Today, I bring a few decades of knowledge and experience to my work in supporting individuals, organisations and professional groups to get the most out of their work and life in a healthy and balanced way.
Having completed Bangor University’s Teacher Training Retreat level 2, I am accredited by the UK Network for Mindfulness Teachers and Trainers to teach Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). I hold Senior Yoga Teacher status with Yoga Alliance Professionals having trained to become a yoga master with the International Sivananda Vedanta organisation, a hatha yoga teacher with Yoga Professionals and I am registered as a yoga therapist by the government regulated body, CHNC , after studying at the Yoga for Health Foundation who pioneered yoga therapy in the UK. I am also a REPs registered GP Referral Exercise Consultant having completed my training with the Wright Foundation.
I have almost 15 years professional eperience in the field of health and wellbeing:
- Teaching yoga classes, workshops, retreats from South America to India to the south of England in Dorset and Hampshire.
- Manager of a GP Referral Exercise programme for Southampton City Council’s Healthy Living project, where I designed the UK’s first exercise for stress GP referral programme called Stress Busters. The innovative programme combined gym-based exercise, yoga , meditation and relaxation.
- Course Director for Yoga Professionals, training yoga teachers for a Level 3 CYQ/REPs qualification in hatha yoga.
- Contributing to the work of Southampton Solent University’s health promotion unit, Solent Health, with bespoke well-being services for staff, students and external organisations, resulting in winning the prestigious UK FLAME Award for Workplace Well-being in 2014 and 2015.
- Running MBSR courses, workshops and retreats for organisations and the public.
- Project Development Manager of Solent Health’s pioneering Big Lottery funded programme called HeadStart to bring the benefits of mindfulness to school teachers and young people in Southampton and the New Forest – my working life started as a junior school teacher in London!
I enjoy travel, learning languages, all things Jane Austen, nature and the outdoors, music, art and dancing – Argentine tango, belly dancing and dances from the Regency period with the Duke of Wellington’s Dancers. I have twin nephews and a niece, who all started practising yoga very young.